Picture This – Art Exploration for Kids “Fractured Perspective – The Cubist Vision of Pablo Picasso”
Kindergarten through 5th grade.
“Ever draw a picture and think about what it would look like if you cut it up and rearranged the pieces? Pablo Picasso did. We’ll hear his story, then create our own modern masterpieces!”
· Read Picasso & the Girl With the Ponytail (Picture Book Anholt)
· Read The Life and Work of Pablo Picasso (J759.6 BEN)
· Share some examples of Picasso’s cubist & collage paintings from some “coffee table” books
· Create “Fractured Friend” portrait – draw picture of a face (friend, family member –mom, “self-portrait”), color with markers & crayons, cut up with scissors, mount mixed-up pieces on larger piece of paper, add assorted collage items (e.g. paper shapes, foam pieces, buttons, feathers). (Supplies: 11x17 paper, 8 1/2x11 paper, markers, crayons, scissors, glue sticks) What’s the Big Idea (J709.04 RAI) pp.8-13 (Feeling Faces, Mix it Up.)
· Additional resources: The Usborne Art Treasury (J750.11 DIC) p. 20-23 (Clown collage), A day with Picasso -- Pfleger (J709.2 PFL) (Adventures in Art Series)