Picture This – Art Exploration for Kids: A Trip to “Uncle Andy’s”
Kindergarten through 5th grade.
“Get the New Year off to a rollicking start as we discover the faabbbulous art of Andy Warhol and let loose our own creative juices on everyday objects to create some Pop Art of our own.”· Open by having kids browse through Andy Warhol art books
· Read aloud: Uncle Andy’s (J759.13 WAR) & Andy Warhol (J759.13VEN)
· Discuss art ideas—Resources: Andy Warhol : Pop Art Painter (J759.13 WAR) Pop Artists (759.13 MAS), Andy Warhol: Paintings for Children (WGL J709.2 WAR), & others – compare covers
· Create paintings based on newspaper food ads, Pop Art (J709.04 BOL) p. 10ff., iconic figures (Elmo, etc.), animals or self-portraits with unusual colors, blotted line drawings (paint then place another piece of paper to make an impression). (Supplies: paper, paint, brushes, water cups, tablecloths & smocks, food ads, video covers, etc.)
· Play music: Beethoven’s Wig: Sing Along Symphonies (J734 PERL) in tribute to Warhol’s wig!
· Addl. Resource (next time): Make It Pop!: Activities and Adventures in Pop Art by Joyce Raimondo