Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Pre-School Storytime “Mother’s Day” Also includes plans for storytime/craft (ages 2-10)

 

A fun and interactive storytime celebrating mothers and others that includes letter awareness, animal identification, singing, sign language and a touch of empathy.
Includes the five EECR2 practices of:

Entering musicMusic for Little People’s Celebration of Family J730 CELE (tracks #7-9 – track #9: A Song for Mama)


 

Singable Interactive Book: Where’s My Mom? by Julia Donaldson (older) Is Your Mama a Llama? by Deborah Guarino (younger) both are guessing games about an animal looking for his mother, the first is singable --tune “Hush Little Baby”; the second rhymes the answer (phonemic awareness)

 

Booktalk: Mommies Say Shhh! by Patricia Polacco (gorgeous illustrationsanimal sounds)

 

Flannel: Mother, Mother I want Another based on the book by Maria Polushkin Robbins (At bedtime, Baby Mouse says “I want another, Mother.” Mrs. Mouse engages Mrs. Frog, Mrs. Pig, and Mrs. Donkey – all sing Baby a lullaby before Baby Mouse clarifies that what he wants is another KISS!”)

Book: A Mother for Choco by Keiko Kasza (A lonely little bird searching for its mother finds a loving adoptive mother bear.)

 

Flannel: The Runaway Bunny based on the book by Margaret Wise Brown – point out nod to her Goodnight Moon.

 

Flannel/Song: MOMMY (Flannel letters) (Tune: “BINGO”)
I have a very special friend
And Mommy is her name-o,

M-O-M-M-Y, M-O-M-M-Y, M-O-M-M-Y
And Mommy is her name-o.

 

Book: Mama, Do You Love Me? by Barbara M. Joosse  diversity! Alts:(shorter/younger) Mouse’s First Spring by Lauren Thompson (wkrm) or Mama’s Day by Linda Ashman or My Mommy is Magic by Carl Norac or My Mommy Hung the Moon by Jamie Lee Curtis (event kit www.jamieleecurtis.com)

 

Sign Language Song: Tom Chapin’s “Family Tree” (track #7) on Celebration of Family J730 CELE

 

DVD: Blueberries for Sal (classic, Marna’s favorite. PPR on The Snowy Day: Caldecott Classics & The Robert McCloskey Library) or Make Way for Ducklings Alts:  I Love You Like Crazy Cakes (Chinese adoption)

 

Hand Stamping: “Mother’s Day” track #2 on Tom Chapin’s Moonboat and/or Family Garden by John McCutcheon (730 McCu)

 

BWL 5/10, 5/16

 

Sat ST/Craft) ages 2-10 

 

Enter to tracks 7-9 from Celebration of Family J730 CELE

Mama, Do You Love Me? by Barbara Joosse

Flannel: Mother, Mother I want Another – Robbins

Interactive Book: Where’s My Mom? – Donaldson (singable)

     Booktalked: Is Your Mama a Llama? – Guarino

Game: Mother / Baby Match (flannel)

Flannel/Song: MOMMY

My Mommy is Magic by Carl Norac

Prop (Nested Boxes): The Surprise based on the book by George Shannon, script here: carolsimonlevin.blogspot.com/2013/12/pre-school-storytime-gifts-and-giving.html

Flower Garden by Eve Bunting (wkrm)

Flannel: Monkey Face (based on the book by Frank Asch) script here: carolsimonlevin.blogspot.com/2014/05/preschool-or-school-age-storytime.html

Music: “Family Tree” on Celebration of Family J730 CELE

Craft: Mother’s Day poems/Cards (die cut cards, die cuts, gluesticks, scissors, markers)  with poem below:

Music during craft: A Child’s Celebration of Family

 

Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprints
On furniture and walls
But every day I'm growing --
I'll be grown some day
And all those tiny handprints
Will surely fade away
So here's a little handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small.


Happy Mother’s Day!   Date

 

BWL 5/09  5/11

 

 

no time for:

Book: Flower Garden by Eve Bunting (wkrm) or So Happy by Kevin Henkes

Flannel: Spring Flowers

Book: If You Plant a Seed by Kadir Nelson
Fran’s Flower based on the book by Lisa Bruce

Additional book possibilities:

Big Hugs, Little Hugs – Bond

Stay Close to Mama – Buzzeo

Bearcub & Mama – Jennings

My Mommy Hung the Moon – Curtis

Mr. Rabbit & the Lovely Present – Zolotow  SMALL (M. Draghi favorite modern classics)

Mama, I’ll give you the world – Schotter

Hug Time --  McConnell

A Special Day for Mommy – Andreasen (Holiday) used 5/09 – skipped 5/11 –kids didn’t really get it.

Mama Zooms

 

Additional flannel possibilities:

“Parents are People” from Free to Be You and Me

Ask Mr. Bear based on the book by Marjorie Flack

 

Optional Game: Mother / Baby Match (flannel) skipped this (no time)

Participation flannel/ Movement (get up & move like the animals)

Mother/Baby match (animal match mom/baby pix)

– listening skills (I didn’t end up using the baby flannel animals)

This baby makes a mooing sound

When his mother’s not around.

Calf is the name of this baby.

Find his mother and show her to me.

Continue with:    

2. barking, puppy, dog

3. meowing, kitten, cat

4. quacking, duckling, duck

5. oinking, piglet, pig (sow)

6. growling, cub, bear

7. roaring, cub, lion

8. hopping, joey, kangaroo

9. baaing, lamb, ewe

10.maaing, kid, nanny goat

 

Additional songs:Be Kind to Your Parents”

Sign Language Song: Pick Me Up! Track 16 “Talking on the telephone”

BWL 5/07:

FST: Mama’s Day – Ashman

ST: Mama, Do You Love Me? – Joosse

Song (Flannel letters) M-O-M-M-Y

ST: A Special Day for Mommy – Andreasen (Holiday)

FST/ST: Mother, Mother I want Another – Robbins

Song (Actions): Magic Penny

Prop (Nested Boxes): The Surprise – Shannon

Interactive Book: Is Your Mama a Llama? – Guarino

Participation (Puppets) – Mother/Baby Match

Movement FST: Your Kind of Mommy -- Parker

ST: A Mother for Choco – Kasza

Song/Flannel: Parents are People

FST: Mothers are Like That –Carrick

Video – Are You My Mother?

Alt Books:       Kiss Kiss – Wild

                        Mommy’s Hands – Lasky

                        Flower Garden – Bunting

                        I Love You as Much -- Melmed

Alt Videos: 

                        Make Way for Ducklings

                        Is Your Mother a Llama?

DVD PPR  Magical stories [DVD] : the rainbabies  WGL too long – 20 min.

 

 

BWL 5/04:

 Song: M-O-M-M-Y

TT/FST/ST:  Mama, Do You Love Me – Joosse

Song:  Sometimes Mom Says…

Flannel: Monkey Face

TT/FST/ST: Is Your Mama a Llama – Guarino

Song: What Do They Say?

TT/FST: Mother’s Are Like That – Carrick

ST: A Mother for Choco – Kasza

Song/Flannel: Parents are People

ST: Harriet You’ll Drive Me Wild – Fox

Song: I Love Mother

TT/FST: Cat’s Colors – Cabrera (optional – depending on attn. Span)

Song: You Are My Mommy

Video: Are You My Mother?


 

Addl. titles:

Mommy in My Pocket – Senderak

Flower Garden -- Bunting

Just Like You and Me – Miller (my cart – discarded)
Just Like Me – Schlein
 

From “A Storytime Year” p. 106:

No Time for Mother’s Day – Anderson

I Love You, Mom – Hiskey

I Love You, Stinky Face – McCourt

This is the Bird – Shannon

                               

Books: 

 

Ask Mr. Bear – Marjorie Flack

Koala Lou – Mem Fox

Where’s Our Mama? – Diane Goode

Hiding – Tudor Humphries

Five Minutes Peace – Jill Murphy

I Love You with All My Heart – Kern

My Mom –  Browne

 

http://www.geocities.com/mystorytime/mothers.htm

 

Additional Songs (source unknown):

I Love Mother  (Tune: “Frere Jacques”)
I love mother, I love mother,
Yes I do, yes I do.

And I want to say, “Happy Mother’s Day!”
I love you, I love you.

 

Sometimes Mom Says…

(Tune: “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”)

Sometimes Mom says, “don’t do this,”

Sometimes Mom says, “don’t do that.”

Still she loves me, that I know.

Why? Because she tells me so.

Sometimes Mom says, “let’s do this.”

Sometimes Mom says, “kiss, kiss, kiss.”

 

What do they Say?

What does a dog say?  Bow wow wow.
What does a cat say?   Meow, meow, meow.
What does a dove say? Coo, coo, coo. 
What does your mommy say? 
  I love you!

 

You Are My Mommy (Tune: “You are my Sunshine)

You are my Mommy, My special Mommy.

You are the best in every way.
And that is why

I want to wish you

A happy Mother’s Day!

 

My Mom

My mom is very special,

I think that you’ll agree.

She picks the greatest stories

To read aloud to me.

(Hold palms out, pretend to read)

Sometime we go fishing,

(Pretend to cast a line)

Or play a game of ball.

(Pretend to swing at a ball)

She always gives me great big hugs,

(Hug self)

She’s the best mom of them all!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...