Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Pre-School Storytime/Craft: Pumpkins


(A seasonal storytime touching on how pumpkins grow
plus participatory storytelling and some creative problem-solving!)

Opening Music: "Scratch Scratch in the Pumpkin Patch" from Imagination Generation: Songs of Creativity by David Kisor or “Dem Bones” & others from Spooky Tunes

Action Song: I am the Great Pumpkin Tune: “Did You Ever See a Lassie?”
I am the Great Pumpkin, Great Pumpkin, Great Pumpkin
I am the Great Pumpkin, Come sing with Me.
For Your Friends are my friends and my friends are your friends,
I am the Great Pumpkin, Great Pumpkin, Great Pumpkin
I am the Great Pumpkin, Come sing with me.
(variation: dance, skip, hop, clap jump, etc.)

imageBook: It’s Pumpkin Time – Zoe Hall (beautiful story of growing a pumpkin)
Alt:   Pumpkin Cat – Anne Mortimer (beautiful illustrations!) – both good – let kids vote “dog” or “cat” pumpkin book.

Action Song: I am a Pumpkin Big and Round (action) Tune: “I’m a Little Teapot”
I am a pumpkin big and round
Once upon a time I grew on the ground
Now I have a mouth, two ears and a nose,
What are they for, do you suppose?
With a candle inside, shining bright,
I’ll be a Jack O’Lantern on Halloween Night!

Book:  Bear’s Bargain – Frank Asch (also published as Moonbear’s Bargain(“have you ever wished you were big, or could fly?”..we tried flying with bear in the book -- clever problem solving).  alts: Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin – Mary Serfozo (tiger looking for perfect pumpkin in the fun rhyming text) or  Mystery Vine –Cathryn Falwell

Fingerplay:  I made a Jack O’Lantern on Halloween night
I made a Jack-o-lantern on Halloween Night
He has three crooked teeth, but he won’t bite
He has two round eyes, but he cannot see.
He’s a Jolly Jack O’Lantern, as happy as can be.

and/or Song: I am a Jack O’Lantern -- Look at me! Tune: “I’m a Little Teapot”
I am a Jack O’Lantern -- Look at me!
I’m as happy as I can be.
Put a candle inside and light the light.
I’ll scare you on Halloween Night! Boo—oo—oo!

image
Flannel storytelling or Participatory storytelling with children & puppets: Big Pumpkin – Erica Silverman (I use tune from old Scholastic recording, feel free to contact me if you want to learn it.)
image
Book: Pumpkins: A Story for a Field --  Mary Lyn Ray (wonderful fantasy about a man who sows pumpkins then sends them all around the world to raise money to save a field -- best for ages 4+)  booktalked this 2017 to allow time for a craft

Glove: Five Little Pumpkins
Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate
The first one said, “Oh my, it’s getting late.”
The second one said, “There are witches in the air.”
The third one said, “But we don’t care.”
The fourth one said, “Let’s Run, Let’s Run!”
The fifth one said, “It’s Halloween Fun.”
Then “WHOOOOOO!!!!!” went the wind
And OUT (clap) went the lights.
And five little pumpkins rolled out of sight!

Flannel storytelling or Participatory storytelling with children & puppets/props:  The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything -- Linda Williams – skipped 2017
image
Book: Pumpkin Heads – Wendell Minor – clever and unusual ways to carve a pumpkin

BIG vegetables: Reading Rainbow: June 29, 1999 -- see how a man grows enormous pumpkins  -- skipped 2017

Shakey Eggs to "Roll that Pumpkin Down to Town" from album Elmo Says BOO! (unavailable 2016), used “Dem Bones” from Spooky Tunes instead.

Hand stamping to “The Addams Family” on Halloween Howls.

Craft: Make your own personable pumpkin!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Multi-eyed pumpkins (and spider) gave us a chance to do counting practice
and discuss which had more and fewer eyes!

image
Fun with fan-folding! – and a family of pumpkins….

image

Clever use of recycled materials –
child used the outlines of previously die-cut letters to spell “pumpkin”

 

Additional titles: Sophie's Squash -- Pat Zietlow Miller
Counting Book: Ten Orange Pumpkins – Stephen Savage (numeracy: count with numeral cards, fingers)
Pumpkin Time! -- Erzsi Deak (2014) Evy ignores all the unusual things around her as she tends her pumpkin patch through the seasons in this hilarious book.
Flannel: Easy as Pie

BWL 10.13, 10.14, 10.16, 10.17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...