Grades 1-6: Journey with us to this ancient city --
We’ll learn about the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius and the destruction it caused, then create some Roman-inspired mosaics.
(Note: some material might be too intense for some 1st & 2nd graders.)
- Display: Titles below plus books on Ancient Rome & Pompeii (937), Roman Gods & Goddesses (292) , mosaics (738.5) - The Mosaic Idea Book by Rosalind Watts (738.5 WAT) is particularly nice, I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii (J Fiction Tarshis)
- Optional: DVD: Digging for the Truth vol. 1. Pompeii section (can have this going while kids arrive, then continue after they are making mosaics – note, while fascinating, it shows plaster casts of adults, children, and chained dog…somewhat intense, would like to find a milder option.)
- Read: Pompeii: Lost & Found by Mary Pope Osborne – kids particularly loved learning about the dormouse house & that dormice were great “delicacies” (discussed in Eyewitness Ancient Rome too) and the communal bathrooms. (other possibilities: Escape from Pompeii – Balit, You Wouldn’t Want to Live in Pompeii 937.7 MAL or Mt. Vesuvius and the Destruction of Pompeii 937.7 ROB)
- Show mosaics from: Eye Wonder: Ancient Rome 937 MAC p.17, 20, 22, 25,26,33,36, I Wonder Why Romans Wore Togas 937 MAC p.12, 19, 30, Ancient Romans 937 SHU cover, Ancient Rome 709.37 CHR p.27, 32-33, Eyewitness Ancient Rome 937 JAM p.24, 37, Ancient Roman Art 709.37 HOD p.8, 13-15 instructions, show pictures from Ancient Rome Adult Folio 937 LIB, Life in Ancient Rome (Adult 937.06 ROD ) plus PowerPoint (quickly made from Internet pictures from an image search for “Roman Mosaics”). Tell kids now it is their turn, can be geometric pattern, animals or plants, gods or battles or anything they want to make.
- Make mosaics (materials: 12x18 tagboard, pencils, gluesticks -- chop construction paper and/or magazine pages into ¼ to ½ in. squares to make really nice mosaic pieces (recycling too!)
- More ideas: Great Art Adventure 701.1 KNO unnumbered, My Art Book (DK) (J745.5 MY) p.58-65, Projects about Ancient Rome 937 FRA p.30-31, Roman Art/Pompei Start with Art: People (J704.942 LAC) p. 24 Mosaics (also Start with Art: Animals)
- Could have ancient Roman music playing while they craft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPtBnpd5gxc